Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Loss For Malaysia

Our country has produced many great talents, but in my heart and mind, only one person uses her talents and resources to bridge the racial and cultural barriers in this country in a way that no others had done.

Yesterday Malaysia lost Yasmin Ahmad, film-maker and storyteller extraordinaire. I think her message to us Malaysians is there are no exclusive race and class among us but we are all God's creation, a colorful society that make up this unique country. Her creativity, wit, humor and film-making style has inspired many and gave us a sense of pride of our fellow Malaysians.

Alas, my limited and inept words will do no justice to her cause, I'll share 3 videos below which are close to my heart and I believe speaks of her dreams and visions.

I think she would like to be remembered for the good and funny times:



A trailer of my favorite Yasmin Ahmad movie:



Beautiful in any color, shape and size, a commercial by Yasmin Ahmad:




Thank you Yasmin for showing us how beautiful we all are, in our individual ways, as a family, as a community and as Malaysians, despite all our cultural quirks.

I never knew Yasmin personally but her films and writings made me feel like I did, I'm sure many would feel the same. Yasmin will always have a place in the hearts of Malaysians.

Al-fatihah and deepest condelences to friends and family of Yasmin Ahmad.

2 comments:

Mrs Top Monkey said...

*sobs, sobs* Goodbye Yasmin... we will miss you. I was just so sad at the news, had been so hoping she would pull through.

Shortcake said...

I know what you mean, it's a great loss for us. Now I wanna go buy all the movie DVDs, just to keep a piece of her *sniff*