I get quite a few queries on the ob-gyn that I'm seeing for my pregnancy and why I chose the hospital I chose. I will share some basic facts here, hope it helps anyone who may be seeking such information:
Dr. Wong Sum Keong
MBBS (Mal), MRCOG (Lond), Fellowship in Gynae. Oncology (UK)
Consultation Obsterician & Gynaecologist
Hartamas Women Specialist Clinic
4-1, Jalan 31/70A, Desa Sri Hartamas,
50480 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel: 03-2300 1990, 2300 1996
(Consultation Hours: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays between 4 - 7pm)
Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur (PHKL)
Suite B409, Fourth Floor (new Specialist wing, towards Starbucks)
3, Jalan Bukit Pantai,
59100 Kuala Lumpur.
Appointments: 03-2296 0733, 2296 0472 (Ask for Jothi; a really helpful nurse!)
(Consultation Hours: Mondays to Saturdays 9am - 1pm)
PHKL 24 Hours Emergency Numbers
Labor Ward: 03-2296 0909
PMC Operator: 03-2296 0888
For room rates and more details; you may check out the Official PHKL Website.
At this point, I do not have concrete details on the labor and delivery charges but I will update it eventually. Overall I do not personally find Dr Wong very expensive but then again I don't have extensive comparison to review the costs here and I'm definitely no expert on the medical rates where Malaysian private hospitals are concerned and I do not intend to go into all that here.
So coming to why I chose Doctor Wong, see below:
- His reputation as a pro-natural doctor.
- I was recommended by an ex-colleague who had several in the family going to him as their ob-gyn and they were all successfully natural vaginal births.
- He is very gentle and considerate as a person and very experienced as an ob-gyn.
- Also, I must also state that I'm one of those who is more comfortable with a male ob-gyn; I don't know why but they give me the confidence that they are more objective and compassionate. My mum says so anyway.
- Anyway I'm not the only one who thinks so; in fact his schedule is so full that you may end up waiting for hours. Sometimes you get canceled-out if he has an emergency c-section or delivery which clashes with your appointment. It happens and can't be helped, you'll just have to reschedule and come back again, so choose a clinic which is near your home or you'll be cursing till no end!
And why I chose PHKL:
- For strange reasons, ever since young I wish I was born there!
- The location is convenient and they have good facilities.
- They do not appear so overly-high density and over-crowded as compared to some hospitals.
- Everyone knows where it is and so it's easy for family to visit.
- I know I can reach it within reasonable time despite whatever traffic condition; a crucial factor in case of emergencies! Plus it's very near both our workplace.
Overall I liked the doc and both his clinics are very accessible and convenient for us. If you decide to engage Dr Wong in Pantai, do bring along your book, magazine, iphone, ipod, pillow, snacks, water bottle, whatever as the wait can get long on most days.
Just a tip; you've got to like the doctor and his staff as you'll be seeing them very regularly throughout your pregnancy. In fact it's almost weekly towards the last month, so a convenient location, good chemistry and a team of helpful staff is a plus point.